The Arm of flesh fails

1 Samuel  2:9 He will keep the feet of 
his saints, and the wicked shall be silent
in darkness; for by strength shall no man
prevail.

"Memoirs & lessons learnt"

I clearly remembered that day on my 
matriculation into the federal University
of Agriculture Abeokuta, Ogun State. I 
already had a huge score in the Joint 
Admission and Matriculation Board (Jamb) entrance exam which was the highest 
entrance score of my set.

During the ceremony, my name was called
out for me to be granted a handshake by the 
Vice Chancellor but unfortunately I wasn't
present in the hall that moment due to
late arrival caused by severe traffic congestions outside and inside campus that early morning and before then I lived off campus.

Shortly after the ceremony when people 
were taking photographs, I found my way 
to meet my HOD who then paved way for my meeting with the
Vice Chancellor of the school.
After he congratulated me on my success, I could remember there 
was this lecturer standing beside the HOD
who made a statement right in my front.
She said and I heard clearly 'Will this one be able to cope and 
survive in our department'? 

That question came to me as a shock and
all through my first (1st) year, it rang a bell 
inside my head. That question placed on me unnecessary pressures , 

pressure to retain my stand as the best in 
the school & in the department,

pressure to have an excellent result, coupled
with much pressure from those looking forward
to what I'll come up with whether good or bad, most hoping for the latter.

Those pressures pushed me to studying so
hard, I avoided any kind of association or 
friends that could serve as a huge distraction
to my excellence,

I avoided church activities, 

I prayed less and trusted so much on my 
own strength and academic brilliance and 
mental forte. 

I performed lower than expectations
in tests but had an assurance and confidence 
my exams will make a difference. 

At the end of the first semester, I and
a friend went to check our results and
I received the greatest shock during 
my entire stay in the school. I had a
very poor result which crippled my 
confidence and courage and almost gave
me a low esteem. I had trusted so much 
in my own strength and self.

After then, It came out so clear
that excellence and success in life is not
a result of hard-work and diligence only,
but grace and a supernatural advantage. 

I had to start attending my local church
which was a big stress for me then cos 
of its distance from school (probably a 45min drive), was later made a youth minister in my 
local church and had loads of
responsibilities as regards kingdom service. 


I began to trust on God's grace for 
excellence coupled with more strategic
study and dedication in my academics.

It was then I later affirmed it's very 
possible to be dedicated in church and 
then resourceful in other things, a thought pattern which I strongly opposed before then. 

To cut the story short, I finished strong, 
more than what I could ever imagine and
God lifted me immeasurably by granting 
the grace and oil of ease to excel. 

After all this, I recognized the mistakes
I made from the onset was allowing the
words of someone else ( that lecturer) 
to becloud my thoughts, imputing fear in
my consciousness. I also allowed myself 
to be under unnecessary pressure 
which made me trust on the arm of the flesh rather than gleaning on the supply of
God's grace available already at my disposal.

I believe this whole scenario was a 
lesson and an ensample for me, not
just for my academic life but all round; in all ramifications, not to put trust in self,
in my own strength, power, wisdom,
abilities but to trust in God only who
restores lost privileges, who redeems
and makes all things new. 

The devil orchestrated that turbulence
in my very early days in the University
to torment me emotionally but God 
used that as an advantage to teach me 
patience, resilience and then to build my faith & trust in Him alone.

I hope this blessed you..

Doxa


Comments